ELMO Online Conference 28 November 2020
Video Presentations will be uploaded weekly in our
Watch them now and subscribe to stay tuned for more content!
The European Lifestyle Medicine Organization (ELMO) organized on 28 November 2020 the 1st Virtual Conference “The European Lifestyle Medicine: Between Education and Practice” with host Dr. Ioan Hanes, MD, Director of the European Lifestyle Medicine Certificate (Belgium) and as moderators: Stefania Ubaldi, MD, PhD, president of ELMO (Switzerland), Ioannis Arkadianos, MD, vice-president of ELMO (Greece), Prof. Dr. Ourania Kolokotroni (Cyprus) and Prof. Dr. Carlos Van Mieghem (Belgium).
You have the following evidence-based lifestyle medicine presentations divided by the chapters presented in the event:
1. Chapter of Nutrition and Physical Activity in Lifestyle Medicine:
moderator: Ioannis Arkadianos, MD (Greece)
Nutrition and exercise play an important role in the management of the non-communicable diseases related to lifestyle, as obesity and NAFLD. Our discussions will focus on the new data about these two chapters of lifestyle medicine and we will try to find out what are the best ways for the health professionals to use them in their practice.
- Obesity a lifestyle related disease: Ioannis Arkadianos, MD, Vice President and co-founder at “European Lifestyle Medicine Organization” - SCOPE Certified (Greece)
- Exercise prescription for chronic conditions. COVID-19 and sports: Reka Vernes, MD, Family, Sports and Lifestyle Medicine Physician, Country Representative of Hungary in ELMO (Hungary)
- The path to change…to a balanced way of living: Ana Jorge, Nutritionist, Master Coach, Health & Fitness Lifestyle Advisor. Founder of Nutrihealth Coaching (Lifestyle Medicine) and Ana’s Healthy Kitchen (Culinary Medicine (Portugal)
- Tips for improving energy expenditure in daily life activities: Davide Susta, MD, Associate Professor Sport and Exercise Medicine at Dublin City University. Clinician in exercise prescription and guidance for sport injuries rehabilitation and prevention. (Ireland)
- Human Microbiome in 2020- the road ahead for health and wellbeing interventions: Wojciech Marlicz, MD, PhD, FACG, FRCPE, consultant in gastroenterology and researcher at Pomeranian Medical University and The Centre for Digestive Diseases, Endoklinika in Szczecin (Poland)
- Lifestyle in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): Prof. Dr. Mircea Diculescu, Head of Gastroenterology Department, Carol Davila University, Bucharest (Romania)
2. Chapter of Education in Lifestyle Medicine:
moderator: Ioan Hanes, MD (Belgium)
Based on our educational and cultural experience related to Lifestyle Medicine, we will try to find ways on how a curriculum could be implemented in academic programs and the training of health professionals. We also intend to develop a new professional competence related to Lifestyle Medicine and build our conclusions based on years of online educational process. The intention is to have an exchange experience in order to improve the Lifestyle Medicine education.
- One year of the European Lifestyle Medicine Certificate: Ioan Hanes, MD (Belgium): Founder and Director of The European Lifestyle Medicine Certificate- Health and Fitness Lifestyle Advisor (Belgium)
- Lifestyle Medicine and chronic diseases- the Romanian Project: Anca Hancu, MD, PhD in Nutrition, medical director and associate Nutriscience Clinic, Bucharest, president of the Medical Association for prevention through lifestyle medicine (Romania)
- Lifestyle Medicine Education in Izmir University of Economics, School of Medicine: Prof. Dr. Kamer Mutafoglu, coordinator of the Lifestyle Medicine Program, Izmir University of Economics, School of Medicine (Turkey)
- Lifestyle Medicine: Medical Education Experience in Latin America: Prof. Dr. Karla Arancibia, MD, MPH, Director and Co-Founder of Latin American Lifestyle Medicine Association (LALMA) (Peru)
- Incorporating Lifestyle Medicine into Medical Schools: Pre-Med to CME: Prof. Dr. Beth Frates, FACLM DipABLM is the President-Elect for the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. Dr. Frates is an award-winning teacher at Harvard Medical School and the co-author of the Handbook of Lifestyle Medicine (USA)
- Definitions and context- do we agree on what Lifestyle Medicine is: Stephan Penman, MappSc (Res), GC (Tert Teach Learn), DipIBLM (Hon). Stephen is Executive Director of the Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine and the Lifestyle Medicine Foundation. He is also the founder of Open Health, a social enterprise developing a world first online comprehensive lifestyle change program (Australia)
- Lifestyle Medicine Education: for credit, for free, for everyone: prof. dr. Erica Frank, MD, MPH, FACPM is the Inventor/Founder of NextGenU.org (Canada)
3. Chapter of Cardiology in Lifestyle Medicine:
moderator: Prof. dr. Carlos Van Mieghem, MD, PhD (Belgium)
The specialty of cardiology has evolved into a high-tech environment integrating multiple tests, multiple drug classes and a vast array of treatment modalities to deal with disease, often in an advanced stage. Less is more. As we will discuss in this session, Lifestyle Medicine offers important tools to revitalize current cardiology practice.
- Lifestyle Medicine and cardiology, back to basics: Prof. Dr. Carlos Van Mieghem, general and interventional cardiologist, AZ Groeninge Kortrijk and MMZ hospital Gent, intensive care physician. He holds a Lecturing Chair at the Catholic University of Leuven. Lifestyle Medicine physician, Cardea Lifestyle Medicine Clinic Merelbeke (Belgium)
- Heart beating. Turning towards difficult: Elizaveta Kuznetsova, MD, PhD, cardiologist and GP, intensive care and cardiology unit physician. Extensive research experience and practice related to atherosclerosis pathogenesis. ESC/EAPC/ELMO member (Russia)
- The role of e-health in the future of Lifestyle Medicine: Stefan Busnatu, MD, PhD in Cardiology. President of the e-Health Working Group in the Romanian Ministry of Health, Vice-Dean and Associate Professor at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Carol Davila”, Bucharest. Researcher in the Horizon2020, InteropEHRate European Project (Romania)
- Lifestyle Medicine in Ireland 2020: Prof. Dr. Robert Kelly, interventional cardiologist, professor of Medicine UCD Beacon Hospital and RCSI University of Dublin, Lifestyle Medicine physician, Tiny habits coach. Behavior designer and ELMO ambassador for Ireland (Ireland)
- Lifestyle Medicine in my clinical practice: joint presentation of the panelists
4. Chapter of Children and Families in Lifestyle Medicine:
moderator: Prof. dr. Ourania Kolokotroni, MD, PhD (Cyprus)
In this session, we will be discussing ways of adapting and implementing lifestyle medicine for children and their families through a multi-stakeholder approach. The ultimate aim is to develop a road map of expanding the field of lifestyle medicine to early stages of life through educating all stakeholders involved in the care of children and their families.
- Lifestyle Medicine for children and families: an early life approach to reducing chronic disease burden: Prof. Dr. Ourania Kolokotroni, MRCPCH, IBCLC. Paediatrician, Certified Lactation Consultant, Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Nicosia Medical School. She has a special interest in health promotion for children and recently qualified with the ELMO certificate (Cyprus)
- The role of academia in shaping the future health care professionals: changing the focus to Lifestyle Medicine for children and their families: Razvan Susan, MD, PhD, Family Medicine specialist, Physical and Rehabilitation specialist, Health and Fitness Lifestyle Advisor (ELMO certificate), Assistant professor, Head of Family Medicine Discipline and, Director of the Center for Preventive Medicine, at Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy Timisoara (Romania)
- The role of family and community in children's healthy lifestyle: Ani Kistauri, MD, Public Health Specialist, Lifestyle Medicine Advisor (Denmark)
- Promoting health literacy in children and adolescences: How can teachers, school leaders, and educators help: Aspa Kandyli, Educator, Trauma-Informed Sleep Consultant, and Breastfeeding Educator. Experience in strategies that help prevent adverse childhood experiences and early trauma or reduce the harms associated with exposure to toxic stress during childhood (The Nederlands)
- Social media as a tool of health communication to parents : Eleni Prifti, PhD, Lifestyle Medicine Advisor with expertise in Environmental Health and a special interest in lifestyle interventions of Environmental Pediatrics. (Greece)
5. Chapter of Sexual Health and Fertility in Lifestyle Medicine:
moderator: Stefania Ubaldi, MD, PhD (Switzerland)
Sexual Health in Lifestyle Medicine is an initiative of the European Lifestyle Medicine Organization, that encourages an evidence-based approach in exploring the multiple sides of human sexuality related to lifestyle. In this session we will discuss the role of certain environmental factors that are important for fertility but also how we can give lifestyle advice without necessarily being sexologists.
- Lifestyle Medicine, Environment and Fertility: Stefania Ubaldi, MD, PhD, specialist in internal medicine and nutrition; extensive research experience and clinical practice in carotid atherosclerosis and lipidology (PhD); special interest in Environmental health and Genetics. President and co-founder of ELMO and of the SSLM (Swiss Society of Lifestyle Medicine)
- She. He. Senses and fantasies. Joint presentation of:
- Elena Gopchuk, MD, PhD, gynecologist- endocrinologist, sexologist, lifestyle therapist, author of the project Women’s Health Studio (www.gopchuk.com)
- Ioan Hanes, MD, clinical sexologist, clinical nutritionist, developer of the Sexual Health and Lifestyle Medicine Chapter in the European Lifestyle Medicine Certificate, ELMO Board Member
6. Somnology development in Romania: Prof. dr. Florin Mihaltan, Head of Pneumology Department Carol Davila University, Bucharest, President of Somnology Section, Romanian Pneumology Society, member of Romanian Medical Academy
7. How to promote Lifestyle Medicine: Pascal Douek, MD, specialized in Sport medicine, Nutrition and Longevity. Committed in Lifestyle Medicine in France - blogger, radio host, author.
8. A lifestyle factors’ approach to mental and physical health in quarantined elderly people: prof. dr. Anne-Claude Juillerat Van Der Linden, PhD in psychology, clinical neuropsychologist, lecturer at the University of Geneva, founder and president of VIVA association (valorizing and integrating for a better aging), co-founder and Vice-President of the SSLM. After more than 20 years of academic and clinical work with her late husband, Pr. Martial Van der Linden, she keeps promoting an integrative approach to cognitive functioning, including evidence-based community actions.